Have you ever fried food? Have you ever used a pastry bag? Have you ever tasted a fried olive? Me neither! This recipe for Fried Olives from Food Republic became an exploration of new cooking techniques for me, which proved quite successful. In fact, the olives turned out SO GOOD. And perfect for a little entertaining in front of the football game yesterday.
2 tablespoons ricotta cheese
2 tablespoons cream cheese
2 tablespoons hot sauce
2 teaspoons honey
50 large pitted green olives, rinsed & drained
1/2 cup panko or plain breadcrumbs
1/4 cup parmesan
1/4 cup flour
1 egg beaten
vegetable oil, for frying
1. In a bowl, mix together ricotta, cream cheese, hot sauce, & honey until smooth.
2. Transfer to a pastry bag. You can also use a Ziploc bag to do this & use scissors to cut off a small piece of the corner of the bag. Pipe filling into all of the olives.
3. Set up a dredging station. First bowl should have flour in it. Second bowl should have the beaten egg. And 3rd bowl should have mix of breadcrumbs & parmesan.
5. In a Dutch oven or pot, heat 3 to 4 inches of oil until a sprinkle of breadcrumbs browns (but the oil is not yet smoking).
6. Fry until a deep golden brown & remove to a paper towel-lined plate.