One of my favorite parts of having my own food blog is the abundance of other food blogs that I have now become familiar with. I love receiving the email updates alerting me to someone's new post. I love searching for recipes & finding that several of the blogs I stumble upon throughout my search are already old friends. I love the multitude of times I discover new, beautiful food blogs that encourage me to take a better photograph & make a better meal.
One of my favorite blogs that I have discovered in the last year is Vegetarianized.com. Every recipe that I have made from this site has been tasty & comforting. And every recipe that I've seen but haven't tried yet still looks scrumptious. Vegetarianized's Roasted Carrot Mac N Cheese is super yummy & such an inventive way to incorporate vegetables into your meal. I made a couple of tweaks to the recipe due to what I had on hand. Feel free to experiment with types of cheeses & pastas.
3 cups carrots, peeled & cut into 1-2" pieces
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon honey
1 medium orange, zested & then juiced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt & pepper
8 oz fusilli pasta
2 ounces fontina, grated
2 ounces smoked gouda, grated
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a casserole dish, toss carrots with butter, honey, orange zest, orange juice, oregano, cumin & salt & pepper.
3. Roast for 30 minutes, turning carrots every 10 minutes or so.
4. Meanwhile, cook fusilli to al dente, about 7 minutes. Drain & reserve 1 cup of pasta water.
5. After removing carrots from the oven, lower the heat to 350 degrees & set the casserole dish aside to be used again later.
6. Once cooled, puree carrots in a food processor.
7. In a pot on the stove, mix the carrot puree with cooked pasta, pasta water, all of the fontina & half of the gouda. Cook over medium-low heat until cheese is melted & everything is incorporated.
8. Spray reserved casserole dish with cooking spray. Spoon carrot-pasta-cheese mixture in pan & smooth out evenly. Sprinkle remaining gouda on top. Cook for 20 minutes, until all cheese is melted.