This adaptation of Whole Foods' Gluten-Free Morning Glory Muffins is a wonderful combination of healthful, filling and delicious ingredients. Feel free to combine whatever you have on hand to make your own variation. And please let me know what combination worked best for you!
2/3 cup canola oil
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup gluten-free oat flour (I used Bob's Red Mill)
1/2 cup potato starch
1/2 cup tapioca starch2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups grated carrots
1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 teaspoons lemon zest
1 fuji apple, unpeeled, cored & finely chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Whisk by hand the oil, both sugars, vanilla & eggs in a large bowl for about 1 minute to incorporate air into the mixture. Set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, mix flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, baking soda, cinnamon, xanthan gum & salt.
4. Add the flour mixture, carrots, pecans, cranberries, lemon zest & apples to the sugar mixture. Stir well to form a batter.
5. Scoop batter into paper-lined muffin tins & bake until cooked through, about 25 minutes.