Well, you guys might not know this yet but sometimes I can be quite a clever chick-a-dee. This truth paired with my love for both baking & liquor has brought us to a very important moment. Let me introduce everyone to something truly fabulous...the Mudslide Cupcake. I modified Handle the Heat's recipe slightly by using Baileys in the frosting. The cupcakes turned out perfectly boozy and chocolatey. Edible cocktails!
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 cup coffee, at room temperature
3/4 cup Kahlua
3 large eggs, separated, at room temperature
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick, 8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks, 12 tablespoons) unsalted butter, at room temperature
6 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
1/2 cup Baileys
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pans with paper liners.
2. Whisk together the flour, cocoa & baking soda in a medium bowl.
3. Combine the coffee & Kahlua in a liquid measuring cup.
4. Beat egg whites until foamy with an electric mixer.
5. With the mixer still running, gradually add the granulated sugar.
6. Once incorporated, increase the mixer to medium-high & continue beating until stiff peaks form. The egg whites should be glossy, not dry.
7. In a separate bowl, cream the butter & brown sugar until light & fluffy.
8. Add yolks one at a time.
9. Alternatively add the flour & coffee/Kahlua mixture, beginning & ending with the flour mixture.
10. Use a rubber spatula to fold in the egg whites.
12. Bake for 18-20 minutes.
13. Beat the butter & powdered sugar together in a bowl.
14. Add Baileys & beat to incorporate.
15. Once the frosting comes together, beat on medium-high until smooth & fluffy.
16. Spread onto cooled cupcakes.