Friday, October 7, 2011
she said Baked Apple Donuts
I can't begin to explain how excited I was to find The Motherload's recipe for Baked Apple Pie Donuts. Not only did it provide me with a perfect scratch for my current baking itch but it also allowed me to explore the world of homemade donuts. I have never ventured down that road before because I could only imagine myself slaving over a fryer. But now I am a proud owner of the Norpro Nonstick Donut Pan and will never fear donuts again. This recipe came out beautifully and so incredibly delicious. Thank you Motherload!
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/3 cup butter, cold and cut into small pieces
1/4 cup milk
1 1/2 cups apple, peeled and cored, bite size pieces
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Whisk flour, baking powder, sugars, salt and nutmeg in a large bowl.
3. Add cold chopped butter and cut the butter with the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. (I used a few pulses in the food processor)
4. In a separate bowl, beat the egg and mix in the milk. Fold in the chopped apples.
5. Add egg mixture to flour mixture and stir (but do not overmix).
6. Fill greased donut pan about 3/4 full.
7. Bake for 15-18 minutes.
8. Unmold each donut gently and lightly brush with melted butter.
9. Dunk in a bowl of sugar/cinnamon mix.