Saturday, February 19, 2011
she said Lime Freezer Bars
In an attempt to will myself to warmer days, these lime freezer bars were created. They are cool, refreshing and absolutely delicious. And don't wait too long after they have been removed from the freezer to enjoy. Although they continue to be delectable, the layers don't hold their shape. These bars are a beautiful dish to prepare in advance and have at ready in the freezer when unexpected dinner guests arrive or that unexpected craving for something sweet and refreshing strikes. Variations can easily be made to ensure this recipe gives gluten-free and/or vegan results.
2 cups cookies (I use gluten-free Pamela's butter shortbread cookies)
1/3 cup melted vegan margarine (I use Earth Balance)
1/4 cup sugar
8 ounces vegan cream cheese (I use Tofutti)
2/3 cup sugar
3 teaspoons fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 ounces silken firm tofu (I use Mori-Nu)
1 1/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons arrowroot starch
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon finely grated lime zest (from 2 large lemons)
2 tablespoons coconut flour
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Finely crush cookies by placing in a zip-close bag and rolling over with a rolling pin.
3. Cream margarine and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add cookie crumbs and beat until dough just comes together.
4. Firmly press crumb mixture into bottom of a 9 x 7 pan (or comparable size). Create an even layer with slightly raised sides.
5. Bake for approximately 5 - 7 minutes.
6. Cool completely on a wire rack before filling.
Cream Cheese Layer:
1. In a large bowl, beat together cream cheese, sugar, lime juice, vanilla extract and salt.
2. Spread mixture in even layer over prepared crust.
1. Blend tofu with an electric mixer until creamy, approximately 1 minute.
2. Add sugar, and blend until nice and smooth.
3. Beat in arrowroot starch, lime juice, lime zest and coconut flour.
4. Pour filling evenly over cream cheese layer and freeze for at least 3 hours.
5. Cut into squares or bars with a chilled knife and serve.